Now we all carry expensive smartphones with us such as iPhones or Android for the convenience of our daily life. And we also keep our important information or documents in them.
So, losing such phones for any reason does not simply mean we lose our smartphone only, we also lose all those important information and documents with it.
That is why if you can track your own phone, it can be really useful if it is lost or stolen.
In this article, we have shared some useful tips on how to track iPhone location and we have also discussed how you can track other people’s iPhones as well if they give you permission.
Table of Contents
3 Simple Steps To Track An iPhone Location To Locate A Missing Device: Tips For Recovering Your Device
You can track your iPhone’s location if its Location Services feature is enabled. So, if you have lost your iPhone, then you can follow these 3 simple steps on how to track iPhone location to locate or recover your missing device.
1. Turning On Location Services On Your iPhone
If you want to track your own iPhone or you want to allow other people to track your iPhone’s location, then first you need to make sure that Location Services are enabled on your iPhone.
- First, you need to open the Settings app of your iPhone and then tap Privacy.
- After that, just click on Location Services, and you need to ensure that the Location Services toggle switch is turned on.
Image Source: businessinsider.com
- Every app on your device that has requested access to your location will appear below in a list at the bottom of the page. And you can adjust the way Location Services works on your iPhone by controlling the permission of specific apps. You can enable or disable permission according to your preference and even specify when the app is allowed to see your location.
You should check this list from time to time because many apps can check on your location in the background.
2. Tracking Your iPhone’s Location
If your iPhone is missing, then you can easily locate it if Find My iPhone is turned on in your device and this feature is automatically enabled when you activate your iPhone.
So, if you have not specifically turned it off, then you should be able to locate your device. And you can see where your phone is currently located from iCloud’s Find My iPhone webpage.
- First, you need to open the Find My iPhone website in your web browser. Here you might need to log into your iCloud account with your Apple ID and password.
- After that, you need to click All Devices at the top of the page and select your iPhone from the dropdown menu or any other device that you want to locate.
Find My iPhone also allows you to play a sound to help you locate your device, enable Lost Mode, or do a remote erase for safety.
Also, you can check your current battery level here and when your battery dies, Find My iPhone will report the last known location of your device.
You can also track or locate your iPhone and all of your Apple devices using the Find My iPhone app on another iOS device, such as an iPad that is signed into the same Apple ID.
3. Track Someone Else’s iPhone Location
You can use the Find My app on your iPhone to see where your friends and family are located if they want to share their location with you. Here is how you can track someone else’s iPhone location.
- The person who wants to share their location with you should first open their Messages app and open a conversation with you.
- After that, they need to tap on your name at the top of the screen and then click on info.
- Now, they need to tap Share My Location and in the dropdown menu, they can even choose how long they want to share this information — Share for One Hour, Share Until End of Day, or Share Indefinitely.
- Once they have shared their location with you, you can open the Find My app on your phone and see that person’s entry in the People section at the bottom of your screen. You can tap it to see the location on the map.
How You Can Send Your Location Using Your iPhone
The first method of sharing your location is by using Messages and here is how to do it:
- Open the Messages app on your device and find the contact with whom you would like to share your location. Also, you might need to create a new chat.
- After that, you need to tap the Info button in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Finally, just tap Send My Current Location to instantly get and share an Apple Maps link.
The next method is to share your location using Apple Maps. So, if you use the Apple Maps app for navigation, here is how you can use the app to send your location details
- First, open the Apple Maps app and wait for the app to acquire your location.
- Next, you need to tap on the blue location pin to bring up the My Location menu at the bottom of your screen.
- After that, tap on Share My Location, and in the following step, choose your sharing methods, such as AirDrop, Messages, Mail, and Facebook.
And the last method to share your location is by using Google Maps and here is how you can do it:
- First, you need to download and open the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
- Then, wait for some time so that the app can acquire your location and tap on the blue location pin.
- Finally, just choose to share with selected people, via Messages, or tap the More button to get other sharing options.
And Google Maps creates a real-time location-sharing link, so others can use that link to track your location in real-time, instead of a link to a static location.
What You Need To Do To Permanently Share Your Location On iPhone
If you want to share your location permanently from your iPhone, then you can use iMessage. Also, you can share your location with non-Apple devices by using Google Maps, however, it would not be as reliable.
Here is how to permanently share your location using iMessage:
- First, you need to open the Messages app on your device and then find the contact with whom you want to share your location. Also, you might need to start a new chat.
- After that, just tap the Info button in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Then, you need to tap Share My Location and choose one option from Share for One Hour, Share Until End of Day, or Share Indefinitely.
Image Source: makeuseof.com
If you want to permanently share your location using Google Maps, then you need to follow these steps:
- First, you need to download and open the Google Maps application on your iPhone.
- Now, allow the app to determine your location and then tap the blue location pin.
- After that, just select Share My Location and tap on Until you turn this off.
- Finally, tap Select People and specify those people who you want to share your location with.
However, you should remember that Google Maps will not be as reliable as Apple’s other built-in technology.
How To Track An iPhone From An Android Phone: 2 Useful Tips
If you are an iPhone user, then you might know about Find My iPhone app, which is a popular iOS app that can easily locate and track your iPhone from other Apple devices.
But the tracking process can become difficult if your family or friends are not using iPhone or other Apple products. In that case, you might need to use an alternative method to track your iPhone from an Android phone.
1. Making A Call Or Sending A Message
Calling and sending messages to your lost iPhone might seem old-fashioned or outdated, however, this method can be effective when someone does not steal your phone.
So, if you have misplaced your iPhone while walking or visiting a supermarket, restaurant, or any other place, then you can call your phone number so that someone can pick up your call and answer you.
However, if no one is picking up your phone call, then you can also try to send messages on WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger that show the message delivery status.
But, if you make a call on your lost phone and it says not reachable, switch off, or something like that, then it is not a good indication and in that case, you should try some other methods.
2. Using iCloud
If you are using someone else’s Android device to find your iPhone, then you should open a browser on the Android device in incognito mode, so that none of your data is stored in the browser app. You can follow these steps to locate your lost iPhone using any browsing app.
- Open icloud.com in your browser and sign in with your Apple ID and password.
- And from the menu list, just select the Find iPhone option and choose the device that you want to locate.
- After that, you need to choose any one of the three available options to locate your missing phone – Play Sound which plays a loud audible sound in the phone, enable Lost mode to protect your device from hacking and Erase iPhone to remotely erase your device’s data to prevent your data from being misused by others.
After finishing your search activity, you should log out of your account and close the browser.
Wrap Up On How To Track iPhone Location: Track Your Lost Or Stolen Device
So, if you have misplaced your iPhone or lost your device, then you might need to track your iPhone location.
However, you should be careful of which apps and contacts you grant access to your location, and check the list periodically, so that you don’t need to face any problems.
And if you want to track someone else’s phone, then it should only be done under their knowledge and permission because of their privacy. So, the only person that you can legally track without permission is your child if they are under eighteen years of age.
We hope that now you have learned how to track iPhone location after reading our article. If you still have questions or doubts regarding this topic, please let us know in the comments below.
FAQ: How To Track iPhone Location
There are several reasons you want to track your iPhone’s location, such as you might have lost your device in some unknown places. That is why people are asking a lot of questions on the internet and here we have answered some of them.
Q1. Can I Track My iPhone If The Location Is Off?
Ans: If you want to prevent your phone from being tracked, then you will have to disable GPS on your device and turn on airplane mode.
Q2. Why Can’t I Track My Wife’s iPhone?
Ans: You need to ensure that the location settings on your wife’s iPhone are set up properly. You can find this in settings> privacy> location services and you need to make sure it is switched on. After that, just scroll down to find my iPhone and make sure that it is on.
Q3. Can iPhone Be Tracked By Police?
Ans: The police will not track your phone without any reason. However, they can definitely access your device’s location history in case of an emergency or if they suspect any criminal activity.